Early Lewis Families in South Carolina
The earliest "recorded" Lewis in South Carolina is Hugh Lewis, arriving as an indentured servant to Mr. Edward Matthews in 1671. Hugh Lewis was granted his freedom in 1677 and was also granted 70 acres of land near Charles Town, SC.
Robert Lewis and wife Mary Biggerstaffe Lewis arrived in Charles Town in 1675 and were granted 100 acres of land on September 7, 1675. Robert was granted a total of 1210 acres in present-day Berkeley County, SC.
Gideon Lewis and brother Isaac Lewis arrived in Berkeley County, SC in 1704 and were granted 750 acres each.
Evan Lewis was granted 500 acres in Granville County on 7/23/1711.
In 1712, the Crown took over the colony of Carolina from the proprietors and split the colony into North and South Carolina. Below are all Lewises granted land in South Carolina after the split and prior to the Revolutionary War.

 Lewis

Date of Grant*

Amt of Grant*

Location
Adam Lewis

11/6/1751

50 acres

Berkeley County
Charles Lewis

6/20/1754

200 acres

Craven County
Benjamin Lewis

5/21/1772

150 acres

Berkeley County
David Lewis

1/29/1742

250 acres

Craven County
Elizabeth Lewis

11/6/1751

50 acres

Berkeley County
George Lewis

2/11/1773

100 acres

Shoaly Creek
Isaac Lewis 

5/21/1715

500 acres

Craven County
Isaac Lewis

7/29/1768

50 acres

Berkeley County
Isaac Lewis

5/1/1770

250 acres

Granville County
James Lewis 

9/4/1759

100 acres

Berkeley County
James Lewis

5/28/1767

100 acres

Craven County
John Lewis 

5/14/1752

500 acres

Granville County
John Lewis

9/21/1753

100 acres

Craven County
Judith Lewis

5/30/1736

400 acres

Craven County
Mary Lewis

2/13/1768

100 acres

?
Micheal Lewis

6/22/1767

100 acres

?
Maurice Lewis 

2/17/1736

1000 acres

Queenstown Tshp
Richard

12/12/1767

100 acres

St John's Parish
Surls Lewis

5/21/1772

400 acres

Taylor's Creek
Surls Lewis

9/26/1772

200 acres

Craven County
Thomas Lewis

6/21/1765

100 acres

Craven County
Thomas Lewis

6/1/1767

100 acres

Berkeley County
William Lewis

4/9/1736

500 acres

Craven County
William Lewis

10/25/1764

400 acres

St. James Parish
* Only providing the earliest grant for each grantee in each county. Each grantee may have received more than one grant, but there is not enough space to indicate all, therefore only the first.

Click Here for Post-Revolutionary War Land Grants to Lewises


© 2002 - J.D. Lewis - PO Box 1188 - Little River, SC 29566 - All Rights Reserved